Pancetta wrapped chicken and apricot and pistachio stuffing
If you want to get yourself organised for special guests then this recipe will work for you. Preparing the chicken by stuffing and rolling in pancetta and leaving it uncooked in the fridge overnight, allows the smoked pancetta flavours to mingle with the chicken and sweetness of the apricots and pistachio. It will develop into something very special, but yet so simple to make.
4 chicken fillets
16 strips of smoked pancetta
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ onion, finely chopped
100g fine breadcrumbs
80g Forest Feast Malatya Apricots, finely chopped
40g Forest Feast California Pistachios, shelled and chopped
A handful of chopped parsley
Sea salt and crushed black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas 6.
- Make the stuffing by heating the olive oil in a non stick pan; fry the onion until very soft, then remove from the heat and tip into a bowl.
- Add the chopped apricots and pistachios to the onion along with breadcrumbs, chopped parsley, egg, salt, pepper and mix very well to bind the stuffing together.
- For each chicken fillet you need to lay 4 pieces of pancetta side by side on a chopping board to form a rectangular shape. Now slice the chicken along the side, almost cutting the whole way through and open like a book, place this onto the pancetta and fill with ¼ of the stuffing.
- Roll the chicken, pancetta and stuffing together – a bit like a Swiss roll.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients, then place each stuffed and rolled fillet onto a non stick baking sheet and roast in a hot oven for around 25 minutes until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the pancetta is crisp.
- Slice the chicken and arrange on plates to show the stuffing. Creamy mashed potato, green beans and maybe a little chicken gravy works a treat.