Spaghetti with chorizo, spinach and pine nuts
This dish, if we do say so, is a little bit special… It has all the taste of a Mediterranean holiday and not so many naughty calories.
We toast our delicious pine nuts and added chorizo, garlic, basil, tomatoes and spaghetti to make a wonderful summer time family lunch.
Try to use fresh sun blushed tomatoes, you can buy them at the deli counter in most supermarkets – they lend a sweet juiciness.
You can always chop and change the ingredients to suit your taste… for a vegetarian option, mushrooms work very well with spinach instead of chorizo.
You will need enough spaghetti for four people – simply follow the packet cooking instructions and cook while you make the sauce.
For the sauce
1 tablespoon of light olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
50g chorizo sausage, cut in half lengthways and then chopped into small pieces
40g Forest Feast Pine Nuts
60g sun blush tomatoes, cut in half
1 clove of garlic, crushed
A small pinch of chilli flakes
400ml chicken stock
100g extra light cream cheese
100g baby spinach leaves
15g basil leaves, finely chopped
A little salt and pepper
25g grated fresh parmesan
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion until very soft.
- Tip in the chorizo and cook for about 3 minutes, as it cooks it will release its delicious smokiness and will lend a pale yellow tinge to the onions. Add the pine nuts and allow them to toast in the oil.
- Quickly add the tomatoes, garlic and chilli flakes and stir in the chicken stock, bringing it to the boil, reduce the temperature immediately and simmer for a few minutes before stirring in the cream cheese. Continue to simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Finish the sauce by adding basil, spinach, a little salt and a few twists of black pepper, sprinkle in the grated parmesan and stir until the spinach wilts and the parmesan melts.
- By this time your spaghetti should be cooked perfectly, simply drain it and tip into the sauce, stirring to make sure the pasta is completely coated in the sauce.
- Serve immediately with a few extra shavings of parmesan and some warm crusty bread.